Information We Collect
We gather the following types of information in the following ways to maintain our membership records, process your transactions and fulfill your requests. This information identifies you as an individual or is information that can be linked to you as an individual (“personal data”). Contact information provide by you that we collect includes your personal and/or business addresses, phone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses and titles, social media addresses and IP addresses.
We also collect information provided by you or representatives of your company, either electronically or by hard copy in the course of conducting business with you, including but not limited to the data provided via:
- Membership applications
- Event registration forms
- Member data information forms
- Research and membership surveys
- Orders for products and services
- Online account creation and updates
How We Use collected information
We use this information to:
- Publish our membership directory
- Notify you of relevant products and services
- Notify you of upcoming events and programs
- Keep you abreast of industry news, advocacy, public policy issues and other information
- Populate our company online locators
- Populate our online locators accessible by Our members with login
- Publish member profiles or aggregate member company demographics with no identifying information for individuals or of member companies
- Publish attendee registration lists for GMDC|Retail Tomorrow-sponsored events. Data shared on attendee registration lists includes any and all contact information as described above.
We will not keep your personal data any longer than necessary. We may use analytics tools on our websites to provide products and services you request, identify service issues to us, improve our services, provide content tailored to your personal preferences, track the effectiveness of digital advertising, and to monitor traffic and usage of our websites.
These tools may be provided by third-party service providers and may include the collection and tracking of certain data and information regarding the characteristics and activities of visitors to our websites. We may disclose data, including personal information, to certain such third-party services providers in order to obtain such services.
How We Share Information
GMDC | Retail Tomorrow may share, sell, or trade personal data to third parties, for example, to:
- Our affinity program vendors
- Vendors contracted by GMDC|Retail Tomorrow to provide benefits and services
- Our members and others via registration lists, the electronic membership directory, website access, contact database and other means
We reserve the right to disclose without notice any information in its possession if required to do so by law, to protect or defend Our rights or property or to respond to an emergency.
This website may contain links to third-party websites which are not under Our control. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any linked site. Links to other sites do not imply Our endorsement of the products or services, or privacy or security practices of those websites.
Your right to control information
GMDC|Retail Tomorrow acknowledges that you have the right to access your personal data. In case you request us to remove data, We will respond within a reasonable timeframe.
Upon request, We will provide you with information about whether We hold any of your personal data. You can update or correct your personal data or remove it from our system by making a request to us at the contact information provided below. Requests receive a response within a reasonable timeframe. If for some reason access is denied, We will provide an explanation of why access has been denied.
- Members: On the GMDC|Retail Tomorrow web site, which requires you to use your login and password, you or your company’s contacts or advocates may edit your contact and mailing information directly.
For European Union citizens/residents only: We are committed to full compliance with applicable laws, including the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) as it may apply to GMDC|Retail Tomorrow. For each instance in which We collect data from you, and GDPR applies, We will contact you immediately to provide you with the opportunity to give or withhold permission for sharing your data. You also have the “right to be forgotten” which may be exercised by contacting Us as indicated under the “Contact Us” section below. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by contacting us using the “Contact Us” section below.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data. You may have the right to request access to any personal data We hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the personal data, the recipients, or categories of recipients with whom the personal data has been shared, where possible, the period for which the personal data will be stored, the source of the personal data, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your personal data. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate personal data We hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal data. You may have the right to request that personal data held about you is deleted.
- Object to processing of your personal data. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data. You may have the right to request transfer of personal data directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
- Withdraw your consent.
In addition, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority.
We are committed in complying with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (“CASL”). CASL applies to any electronic communications sent by us to certain outside parties and is protected by a range of business procedures, processes, and policies. CASL regulates all commercial electronic messages sent within, to, or from Canada, which are messages that include (inter alia) the encouragement of participation in a commercial activity.
In some jurisdictions you may have the right to request a copy of the personal information that We hold about you and to have it corrected where necessary. You may also have a right, in certain circumstances, to have your personal data blocked or erased or request that we stop processing your personal information.
You may opt to receive e-mail or fax communication from Us or third-party vendors through GMDC|Retail Tomorrow. Please contact Us as indicated under the “Contact Us” section below to exercise your choice to opt-out of all or select email transmissions.
To exercise any rights, please contact Us (see the “Contact Us” section below) and We will respond to your requests within all applicable timeframes. Please note that We may, where permitted under applicable law, charge an administrative fee and/or request proof of identity.
We are committed to taking reasonable efforts to secure the information that you choose to provide Us, and We use a variety of security procedures to help protect against unauthorized access to or alteration, disclosure, or destruction of personal data. We restrict access to personal data to our employees, contractors and service providers who need to know the information to operate, develop, or improve Our services.
We retain your personal data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you products, services, and information, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes and to enforce Our agreements.
Credit information that you and credit authorizers provide when you make payments by credit card for products, dues, registration fees or other services are encrypted and will only be used to process the transactions you request. This information will never be sold, shared, or provided to other third parties.
We do not request, nor do We use social security numbers in the course of our business with our members, customers, the public, or others.